Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Jacob Is 1 Week Old Today!


Now a family of 5!

Jacob is a peaceful & quiet baby. He sleeps for most of the time. Even though my sleep is more broken up now, I actually feel more rested since the quality of my sleep is better. No more middle-of-the-night trips to empty my bladder; no more leg cramps; no more waking up in sweat & no more tossing & turning all night while trying to find a comfortable position. Jacob sleeps for 3.5-4-hour stretches at night allowing me plenty of rest. We have been cosleeping from day 1 & I love feeling his warm little body snuggled next to me.


Precious little toes (Jacob is wearing our wedding rings)

As I should have guessed from the last ultrasound (the technician couldn't move Jacob's hands aways from his face as hard as she tried), Jacob loves to have his hands close to his face. He uses them to cover his eyes if the light is too bright. He also sucks his fingers when he is hungry. Sometimes he sucks on them for comfort (we haven't established breastfeeding yet so pacifiers are banned). He often reminds me of a little baby bird when he covers his face with his hands while sleeping. I have re-thought my position on swaddling so Jacob always has his hands accessible. Jacob finds sucking very comforting so sometimes I give him my pinkie to suck on if he is rooting, but I know he's full.


With teddy bear from grandma Chris & grandpa Gerry

Jacob is helpless & seems so tiny to me. He doesn't have many fat reserves yet & gets cold easily. His skin is silky smooth & is starting to peel all over. I love his newborn sent & can't stop kissing his head & face. I really enjoy watching Jacob's many facial expressions while he's sleeping. They change from sad to happy in a matter of seconds. Sometimes he even whimpers & giggles.


On the blanket from my clinic coworkers

Jacob gets startled easily so I've been teaching Gerritt & Sophia to be a little quieter when playing. He finally stopped crying when we change his outfits & diapers (he was absolutely terrified at first). However, bathing will take some more getting used to. Jacob seems to recognize our voices & doesn't seem to be bothered by Maxie & Sammy's barking.



Maxie has absolutely fallen in love with Jacob & hasn't left my side since Jacob was born. He's often the first to be at Jacob's side when he cries. Maxie also sleeps with me & curls up next to me when I get up in the middle of the night to feed Jacob & pump.

Jacob is a precious little peanut. We are so happy he is here & he's ours. We are truly blessed!

3 comments:

Taj said...

YAY Jacob! I will try to come by this week - wanted to give you a moment to catch your breath. Any food requests?

Lena H. said...

Perfect! We'll be glad to see you. Any comfort foods would be appreciated - roasted chicken, mac & cheese, spaghetti & meatballs? Shon gets home @ 6:30 pm. You could also come next week instead. He'll be staying at home for 2 weeks.

Taj said...

I'll swing by then in the next couple of weeks - I'm also taking a few days off. Comfort food it is!