Saturday, August 20, 2011

Remlinger Farms


After spending last weekend not doing anything special (both my husband & I had busy & tiring work week), I told him it's imperative we do at least one fun outing every weekend. With only 3 months to go before our new son arrives (he is due at the end of November, just when the annual rain & darkness set in again in Seattle) there will be many months of being cooped up indoors. I doubt I'll be brave enough to go out with 3 kids by myself, although I am capable of anything if I get bored or desperate enough...
So yesterday my husband & I had a date night - our first one since our wedding anniversary in June. I happened to crave Korean cousine, so we had a fabulous dinner at the Seoul Hot Pot. It consisted of barbequed Korean ribs & sauteed squid with seasoned vegetables with multiple little appetizers of seaweed salad, fermented beans, kim chi, soybean sprouts, & pickled vegetables. We took Gerritt & Sophia to their new favorite babysitter Anna who we found while our regular nanny Irina was gone to Russia for vacation. She lives only 5" away from our house & for only $10/hour for both kids, is well worth the money. When we tried date nights in the past, it was such a chore with Gerritt crying & insisting on coming with us. However, he LOVES Mrs. Anna, so when I said that Mommy & Daddy were going out by themselves & he & Sophia would go to Mrs. Anna, to my big relief, he quickly put on his socks & shoes & ran to the door saying, "I am ready, Mommy!"



Water canoe ride

Today we went to the Remlinger Farms - a fun place I've read & heard about way too many times not to visit. Every time I heard another rave review, I felt like I was missing being a part of something big & exciting. So finally, we braved the heat (it was in the 80s today) & the crowds & visited the Farms. No question, it beat our previously favorite Kelsey Creek Farm Park. Due to exhausting heat, the nature of my condition & 2 toddlers who still needed their daily naps, we probably only toured 1/3 of the Farm's amenities.


Gerritt on his 1st pony ride



Riding the train

As soon as Gerritt found out there were live pony rides available, he announced he wanted to go there first. The best part of the pony ride for me was seeing his face light up with a big smile (thanks, Bumbleberry!). The water canoe ride followed (it turned out to be Sophia's favorite). Then we boarded the Tolt River Railroad Steam Train, which was a big hit with all of us. While Sophia & Daddy visited the Animal Barnyard where she could see & pet goats, pigs, cows, alpaca, sheep, bunnies & donkeys, Gerritt rode the Swing Carousel.


Mommy & Sophia on the Flying Pumpkin ride


Sophia cooling off with the water sprinkler!

After having some lunch & listening in on the show at the Farm Theater, we headed to the Flying Pumpkin Ride. After the ride we decided to get some rest in the shade, while Sophia enjoyed playing with the sprinkler. I watched her beautiful dress & hair get completely soaked and ... I just let her. I had a change of clothes in the diaper bag, & it probably felt wonderful. She sure got a lot of smiles from people walking by. :-) After changing Sophia into dry clothes we finished our trip with the Antique Car ride.


The Antique Car ride

Despite my fatigue & swollen ankles, this was one of my favorite outings of the summer! Gerritt & I made a decision to come back again, just the two of us, to explore the rest of the farm (U-pick berries, the Ice Cream shop, & more rides, of course). We'll definitely be back for the Fall Harvest Festival! Just 20" away from our house & with the admission price of $11 per person, Remlinger Farms is a perfect family outing.
Later in the evening, my husband was talking about continuing with our weekend going-out theme & watching the concert at the Crossroads Mall, but even I reached my limit. After having dinner & bathing the kids, we all promptly went to bed at 8:30 pm. :-)

No comments: