Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Thoughts on what could have been


Today I've spent most of my day off organizing kids' clothes. I was long overdue for this activity as Sophia could hardly fit into anything on her clothes shelf. Who knew it would be such a time-consuming task? I started the sorting process in the morning, but couldn't get much done with the kids running around & while meeting their multiple daily needs ("Mommy, can you feed me?", "Mommy, watch this!", "Mommy, I went poo poo!," "Sophia hit me!," "Mommy, I want to go to the Mall," etc.). So the clothes organizing went late into the evening as I am usually most productive after the kids go to bed. My husband bought me a few extra plastic storage bins at Walmart a few weeks ago, especially for this task.
The clothes were sorted either into the "keeping" pile or the Goodwill pile. Then, every item was carefully examined for size & stains. The stained clothes were put into color-safe diluted bleach solution for an overnight soak, while the unstained clothes were sorted into the clothes bins marked by age: 0-6 months, 6-12 months, 12-18 months, 2 years, 3 years, 4 years & 5+ years. With 6 clothes bins neatly stacked up & a large plastic Goodwill bag ready to be dropped off, I was finally at peace.
I take pride in my organizational skills & like my home to be clean & comfortable. Even though, fortunately, I was never a mail order bride, I always laugh thinking I could make an ideal one with the way I structure my life. I love all things related to home: cooking, cleaning, gardening, & taking care of the kids. I was raised by a single mother who was very independent & a feminist. I have the utmost respect for the brave women who quit their jobs to take care of their families, but the idea of being dependent on someone & not having my own income still frightens me (although I must admit I think of cutting back on my outside work load several times a week). So every time I get an innocent question from a curious stranger whether I was a mail order bride, I proudly answer "no," but silently chuckle to myself, "But I would have made a perfect one!" :-)

No comments: