Monday, January 24, 2011

Apricot Thumbprint Cookies


It was another Sunday & I was in the mood for cooking. Usually when it happens, I make several dishes at once. Sophia & Daddy were visiting grandma, so Gerritt & I had all evening to ourselves to bond over making one of his favorite cookie recipes. This is another recipe I borrowed & adapted to fit our family's needs from wonderful whole foods cookbook Feeding the Whole Family by Cynthia Lair. I am sensitive to almonds, so ground almonds were replaced with ground hazelnuts. Also, the cold pressed vegetable oil was replaced by melted coconut oil. In addition, I've added the omega-3-rich ground flax seeds (I put them into everything, it seems, including yogurt & meatloaf). This is an egg- & dairy-free recipe. Enjoy!

2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
3/4 cups ground hazelnuts (I use Bob's Red Mill Finely Ground Hazelnut Meal/Flour)
3-4 tablespoons of ground flax seeds (I use already ground Premium Gold Organic Golden Omega Flaxseed carried by Costco)
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
1/3 cup melted coconut oil (I use Fresh Shores organic Extra Virgin Coconut Oil)
1/3 cup apricot or apple juice
1/3 cup maple syrup or concentrated fruit sweetener
1 teaspoon almond extract
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
Apricot preserves (fruit-sweetened) (I used Mediterranean Organic Peach Apricot Organic Preserves)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Combine flour, hazelnuts, baking powder, ground flax seeds, & salt in a mixing bowl; set aside. In a separate bowl, mix coconut oil, juice, maple syrup, & extracts together. Add wet ingredients to dry & mix well, kneading a little. Form dough into balls & flatten to make circles. Place on lightly oiled cookie sheet. Indent each cookie with your thumb or your child's thumb & put 1/2 teaspoon preserves in the imprint. Bake 15-20," until edges turn golden.

Preparation time: 30 minutes
Makes 15-20 cookies depending on cookie size

No comments: