Saturday, January 22, 2011

The Ideal Earrings


My ideal pair of earrings I dream about buying some day

Lately I've been dreaming about buying beautiful jewelry, pink topaz or tourmaline gold earrings, to be exact (pink is my favorite color). With Valentine's Day just around the corner, I've had this unbearable craving for something pink & sparkly. Apparently, I am not the only one lusting for jewelry. My husband & I have decided long ago that the best presents are the ones you choose yourself, so I was on a shopping mission for the past 3 days. My budget began with the earrings for under $200, but after conducting a thorough research including comparing prices at such popular jewelry sellers as ice.com, bluenile.com, tiffany.com, overstock.com, costco.com & maxandchloe.com, I learned with great sadness that $200 is too small of an amount for the quality, size & design of my ideal earrings. I wanted earrings that were high quality, classic & that I would enjoy wearing year after year.
It always takes me a long time to decide on anything, so I finally zeroed on 14K rose gold lever back pink topaz & diamond earrings from maxandchloe.com. Too bad they were way out of my budget at $800 price tag. My husband cheerfully said that I should get them anyways & that I deserve a beautiful piece of jewelry since it has been a while (He bought me a Tiffany & Co. heart tag charm Toggle necklace after Gerritt's birth in 2007). I agreed - I DO deserve them. I work very hard, just like every mother I know. So what's the hold-up?
If we didn't have kids, I would have probably spent $800 without batting an eye. Just a few years ago we, while dating, bought concert tickets, took out-of-town trips & dined at expensive restaurants all the time. Now we are the parents of 2 beautiful children, have a mortgage & must think about more practical things like buying the right type of a life insurance & saving for kids' college. The earrings would make me happy, for a few weeks, & maybe even longer, but, just like any gratification derived from material things, this happiness would be short-lived. Until I find something else I REALLY want, & then off to the next pursuit. So I will be setting up a college savings plan for Sophia instead & save jewelry shopping for our 10-year wedding anniversary perhaps. Suzi Orman would be very proud of me! However, I am saving the photo of the earrings to dream about & as a testament of my strength & maturity. :-)

No comments: