Friday, December 28, 2012

My First Gluten-Free Bread


Ever since Gerritt was diagnosed with gluten sensitivity this fall & after learning that eliminating gluten may be a healthy choice for many people even if they are not gluten sensitive, I've been looking for good gluten-free bread recipes. The gluten-free bread from our local gluten-free bakery left us less than impressed so I've decided to take matters into my own hands. A toast with raw walnut or pecan butter & honey is a frequent snack at our house for children and I. I needed to find a recipe fast.
Luckily, while browsing the blogosphere during my late night quiet "me-time" sessions, I stumbled upon the gluten-free honey oat bread recipe by Yammie's Gluten Freedom. The recipe was simple enough with no dough kneading & bread machine required. I went to the grocery store the following day. After all, not every pantry happens to be stocked up on rice, tapioca and oat flours, not to mention xanthan gum.


I followed Yammie's recipe with the exception of substituting olive oil with melted extra virgin coconut oil (to preserve its health benefits, olive oil should never be heated) & adding a handful of raisins. Unlike dry, crumbly, cardboard-like gluten-free bread I've tried in the past, this recipe delivered moist, chewy & flavorful bread for the whole family to enjoy. The bread was gone in less than a day, proving that eating gluten-free can be delicious!

A variety of alternative to wheat flours - essentials of gluten-free baking

No comments: