Sunday, January 15, 2012

Snow







We didn't get white Christmas this year, but there was no need to fret. It has been snowing plenty for the last couple of days. Even though snow is rare in Seattle (usually once or twice a year), when it happens the whole city gets paralyzed. Schools, offices & stores often close because people don't know how to drive in the snow. Lucky for me, I worked my nursing shift at the hospital yesterday when snow was light (nurses are not allowed to call in sick due to inclement weather) allowing for relatively safe travel to the hospital & back.
It snowed all night, & it would have been trickier to drive a car today. Thankfully, today happened to be my day off so Gerritt & I decided to venture outside to play in the snow. With Sophia napping & my Mom watching Jacob, Gerritt & I had plenty of time to make snow angels, play snowball fights & even go sledding on the hill across from our house.
Snow was a daily part of my existence while growing up in Russia, & I spent many winters skiing & ice skating. I can only hope my kids will inherit some of my love for snow!

1 comment:

ЮЛИЯ said...

Yep, I always get surprised that everything gets paralyzed here because of snow. We grew up in Tynda, where we had snow almost 6 months per year, but it never was a problem. I remember walking to school at 40 degrees below zero and it was normal for us, all kids were expected to walk to school: rain, snow or sunshine...