Thursday, July 7, 2011

Thrift Store Shopping


Some of the my finds drying after being washed


Another good find - 2 kids' folding chairs for $8!


A pretty collection of vases

Recently I posted how much I enjoyed shopping & saving money at Value Village (a local thrift store) as a status update in my Facebook profile. Little did I know, the posting would upset my husband. Apparently, some people find it degrading & embarrassing to shop at Value Village or GoodWill. I've met this attitude before from a "typical" middle-class American. She was elaborating how proud she was of her niece going to school during the week & working as a waitress on the weekends. The money made working weekends was not used to pay off student loans or build a savings account. No, no. It was mostly to afford buying designer clothes. When I suggested a thrift store, I got a reply, "Oh, she would never go to a place like that."
After finding a designer outfit & a pair of shoes in Value Village more than once for just under $15 I can never justify paying a full retail price again. You can say, I am addicted to thrift shopping. I find it thrilling going to the store not knowing what you will discover & how much money you can save. It is like a treasure hunt! Although I would not buy underwear, socks or a mattress/pillows from a thrift store, it is my favorite place to buy kids' clothes, kitchen items, toys & clothes for myself. I especially loved buying my maternity clothes there. Most American women (who usually have 1-2 kids) wear it for relatively brief period of time & then give it away to a thrift store in excellent condition. Knowing how pricey maternity clothes can be, I can't imagine a different place to shop. The same goes for kids't clothes & shoes. Children often go through growth spurts & hardly wear out their clothes during that time.
I admit, initially I went to Value Village to save money. But as I learned more about this organization, I also discovered I was contributing to the good in the world by conserving natural resources, eliminating waste & helping others. Value Village's recycling program eliminates more than 500 million pounds of waste from our landfills each year. Also, some of the recycled clothes & household items are sent to the developing countries. So I will continue to be a proud Value Village shopper. Every time Gerritt asks me whether we can shop at Value Village again, it is music to my ears!

No comments: