Tuesday, July 5, 2011

It's a Boy!


20 weeks pregnant


Excited family awaiting the ultrasound results

Today we went for our 1st "real" prenatal ultrasound. It was scheduled for 9 am & my husband's Mom spent previous night at our house so she would not miss this important milestone. My hubby took morning off work, & even Gerritt & Sophia were there to share the moment. Thankfully, Sophia fell asleep in the car & continued to sleep all through our appointment. Gerritt was very curious, but observed quietly in his chair.
We waited patiently as the ultrasound tech scanned my belly to check & measure all of the baby's important structures. She saved the best for last, "Do you guys want to find out the baby's sex?" A few long seconds later she announced, "It's a boy!" I was so convinced it was a girl, that it took me a few moments to absorb the news. My husband & his Mom looked happy, & Gerritt was too busy playing with his chair to react. The perinatologist came in at the end of the visit & repeated parts of the scan herself, "Yep, it's definitely a boy." The thought about our ultrasound tech possibly making a mistake crossed my mind, so I needed to hear that I was carrying a baby boy from someone else.
Unfortunately, every time you do an ultrasound, you are likely to find something concerning. There was an MRI involved to make sure my placenta was not too close to the C-section scar when I was pregnant with Sophia. This time I have placenta previa - a condition in which placenta covers the opening to the cervix. I was reassured by the perinatologist & my midwife that there was about 75% chance that the placenta will move away from the cervix as my uterus grows. So a repeat ultrasound for me in 2 months. I will try not to worry in the meantime.


Our little boy - 20 weeks


The little peanut's 3D image

Ultrasound findings aside, I am pleasantly surprised! Boys don't really run on my side of the family, so I am still getting used to the prospect of having another one around the house. My husband breathed a sigh of relief, "Now we only have to pay for one wedding." :-) Although I would have been happy to have another girl, I felt slightly relieved too. Having raised one of each sexes up to this point, I found out that there are some definite differences. Sophia keeps us way more busy than Gerritt ever did. She is louder, more persistent in getting her own way & very mischievous. She keeps us all on our toes! There is no guarantee Sophia's new brother will have Gerritt's personality, but at least I can hope.
Of course, I called to share the happy news with my Mom & Dad in Russia as well as Chris & Gerry. My Mom was just delighted & said she already knew it was going to be a boy just like my husband's Mom did. Apparently, my motherly intuition is not as well developed.
I am 20 weeks along today & already halfway through my pregnancy. Where did the time go? My 1st pregnancy seemed to go on forever, but now I am too busy with my day-to-day life to really pay much attention. My midwife suggested I start baby movement counting recently, & I just laughed. It's so rare for me to have quiet moments to myself.
I can't wait to hold the little guy in my arms! When most people are eating turkey on Thanksgiving Day, hopefully, I will be getting to know my new son & recovering from birth. And best present of all - he'll definitely be here for next Christmas!

1 comment:

ЮЛИЯ said...

Oh, wow, already 20 weeks pregnant!!! Congratulations on your precious baby boy :)