Monday, November 22, 2010

The Weekend Before Thanksgiving


Gerritt at his first theater show


The living room before...


... and after organizing

 
Posted by Picasa
Gerritt & Daddy wearing their 3D glasses

It was another busy weekend for us. On Saturday I worked my usual shift at Planned Parenthood (9 am - 1:30 pm) & then took Gerritt for his first theater show in the afternoon. We saw the Little Red at the Storybook Theater in Kirkland. Thankfully, the show was only about an hour long & he sat through it just fine. In fact, he didn't want to leave the theater after the show was over & insisted on going to see another show right after. When I told him another show was not playing for a few more weeks, he broke into tears (a sign of a missed nap). It was fun to have a special mother-and-son outing as well as to experience the theater again. We've been pretty much confined to our house ever since Gerritt's birth & it sure feels nice to reclaim some of our old life back.
I called in sick for my scheduled hospital shift on Sunday due to a bad cold, however, instead of resting I spent most of the day organizing the house. There is no such thing as a day off when you are a mother. There is simply too much to do! Our living room turned into a large playground after recent inheritance of Luly's toys, so I made it my mission to go through all of them. Some were put away for storage in a garage (doll houses, dolls, doll furniture, etc. - the kids are just not old enough to play with them yet); some were put into a large Goodwill pile (mostly soft toys that collect allergens & dust, & toys that may be cute, but don't have much learning value), & others were simply thrown away. It is amazing how much time it takes to determine which shoe belongs to which doll, which door belongs to which truck & which puzzle piece goes into which box. Many of the toys & toy parts were mismatched & mixed together in the toy chest. Now we have room for a Christmas tree!
My husband should have not bought me that Starbucks coffee special on Sunday afternoon because I don't drink coffee & when I do, I have way too much energy. So... while he took Gerritt to his first 3D movie experience (it was the Megamind movie), I proceeded to vacuum & wash the hardwood floors in the living room & our bedroom (of course, I had to move all of the furniture to give the rooms that special deep cleaning). I also filled up & then put away the dishes in the dishwasher & washed a couple of piles of laundry. It started to snow on Sunday afternoon, however, I was able to rake & put away most of the fallen foliage in our front yard before the snow got too heavy. Later that night I also prepared dinner. Somewhere in between I fit making fresh hummingbird nectar (I always worry about them when it's snowing or freezing outside). I really should stay away from coffee...


First snow this fall - a view from our porch at 11 am


Beautiful snowflakes at 5 pm


A little hummingbird grateful for sweet sugar water

No comments: