Friday, May 7, 2010

Mommy's 33rd Birthday


Gerritt & Sophia mesmerized by the candlelight


Strawberry-Blueberry Tart


Celebrating at Korean grandma's house


A close-up of the tart


A rare moment alone

Last Sunday our family has celebrated my 33rd birthday. Since I can't have any dairy or eggs, buying a birthday cake from the bakery/store was out of the question. Thankfully, I was able to adapt a berry tart recipe from the Feeding the Whole Family cookbook by Cynthia Lair.

Strawberry-Blueberry Tart

Ingredients:
1 1/4 cup rolled oats
1/4 cup ground hazelnuts (I like the Finely Ground Hazelnut Meal/Flour by the Bob's Red Mill)
1/4 cup ground walnuts
1/4 cup whole wheat pastry flour
Pinch of sea salt
1/4 cup maple syrup
2 Tbsp maple syrup
2 Tbsp cold-pressed vegetable oil
2 Tbsp water
3 cups sliced fresh strawberries
1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
1 cup apple or berry juice
2 Tbsp kudzu (may use gelatin if not a vegetarian)

Directions:
1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Combine oats, ground nuts, flour & salt together in a bowl. Add 1/4 cup maple syrup, oil & water; mix well. Press the mixture into standard-sized round pie pan with wet hands. Bake 12 minutes. Remove from oven & let cool.
2) Wash & trim strawberries & cut in half. Mix juice & kudzu together in a small pan on medium heat until kudzu is dissolved. Add blueberries & 2 Tbsp of maple syrup while continuing to stir until thick & clear, about 5 more minutes. Remove from heat; stir in strawberries. Pour mixture on top of prebaked oat-nut crust. Allow to cool at room temperature or in the refrigerator before serving.

Gerritt didn't care for this dessert (it was on a sour side, I must say) as much as the chocolate cake for Daddy's birthday, but I got my antioxidant fill by eating almost half of the tart all by myself.
It was a nice birthday celebration with my husband's Mom. She lovingly prepared a delicious Korean dinner for us. I had much to celebrate looking at my sweet husband who I am still in love with after almost 5 years of marriage & the two chubby adorable faces of my children in front of me. I am so grateful for having an exciting career I am passionate about as well as having my own family - all in my early 30s! The boys were color coordinated in blue, & Sophia & I wore pink & pearls for the birthday photos. Yep, she has officially inherited my first set of pearls. Sophia's first birthday celebration in 2 weeks is next!

1 comment:

ЮЛИЯ said...

Happy birthday, Lena :))) Your family looks beautiful!!!