Sunday, October 11, 2009

The pumpkin patch







Today we all went to the pumpkin patch. I have never been to one & felt now that we have children we needed to start our own family traditions. When Gerritt was 5 months old I wouldn't even dream of going anywhere since our lives revolved around his 2 daily naps. Times have changed, however, since now I am responsible for happiness of not only Sophia, but also a 2-year-old toddler who has a curious mind & an active body. We chose a farm close to home - the South 47 Farm. My double stroller sure came in handy. Of course, when Gerritt saw a field of bright orange pumpkins, he left the stroller & began to run around in amazement. There were beautiful tall sunflowers everywhere, corn & pole bean mazes, hayrides & farm animals including lamas, miniature horses, chickens & goats. We didn't make it for the hayride, but did enjoy chasing Gerritt through the corn maze as well as admiring farm animals. Gerritt ran around the field & even attempted to lift a few of the pumpkins. Sophia fussed a little, but thankfully, quickly fell asleep in the stroller after her bottle of milk. Gerritt "passed out" upon returning home around 1:30 pm without much resistance. I took a lot of photos & even videotaped a little since Gerritt will probably not remember this outing. Since Gerritt insisted on carrying his stuffed dog & blanket to the pumpkin patch with him, I had to wash it once again today. :-)
In the evening I intended to give Sophia a bath in her plastic tub, however, have decided to do something new & different. I filled the tub with warm water so BOTH of us could take a bath together. I put her in my lap & gently washed her head & body. Then I helped her to swim while laying on her back as well as on her belly. Sophia didn't even cry although she was slightly apprehensive in the beginning. She was kicking her legs enthusiastically & smiling by the end of our "swim." Gerritt's birth doula mentioned taking a bath with her newborn daughter & I wanted to try it for myself. I have also been inspired by the book I've ordered yesterday - We Are All Waterbabies. What a gentle way to help your baby feel relaxed & loved! I will definitely be doing this again.

No comments: