Friday, July 18, 2008

First professional photos





Today Gerritt had his first professional photo shoot. He did pretty well although he didn't smile as much as I wanted him to. The photo place's policy was to stay within the arm's reach of the child at all times, so I couldn't face Gerritt & make smiley faces & loud noises. The girl taking pictures did just that AND tickling Gerritt with a feather - all to no avail. He had a half-smile or a serious look during the whole photo session. All in all I am happy with the result. It should only improve from here. I am planning to take another set of photos around Gerritt's 1st birthday.
After posing for the photos, Gerritt had his 9-month check-up at his new doctor's office. He now weighs 23 lbs 8 oz (80th percentile) and is 31 inches tall (> 95th percentile). It looks like he is tall for his age, however, his weight gain is slowing down. Gerritt got his first Polio vaccination & stayed pretty calm throughout the visit chewing on the doctor's stethoscope. Next check up is around his first birthday!
Yesterday Gerritt spent his first day at his new daycare center. I got tired of hearing "he slept all day" or "he wasn't hungry & ate only 1 bottle" from Anna, so I've decided to transfer him to a new caregiver starting this week. Shon & I have visited the daycare last Friday & met with Marina & her husband who run it. We were pretty impressed. There are about 6-7 kids at any given day ranging from 2 to 13 years old, so Gerritt would get a lot more interaction & learn social skills. All of the kids are on the schedule. There are meal times, nap time, music hour, story time, & outdoor fun. Marina & her family have moved to the US from Ukraine 2 years ago, so Gerritt would hear only Russian when he is with her. I dropped him off at 8:30 am & picked him up at 5:30 pm. He did really well for his first day there. He ate & slept well & even played with another little boy. Marina said he cried every time he heard the door bell ring. I guess he thought I came back. :-(
On Tuesday I took Gerritt to a 30-minute Gymboree class for babies. There were 2 other babies there & he really enjoyed trying to catch soap bubbles, singing songs, playing baby football & other fun games. I think I will take him there again one of these days.

No comments: