Monday, December 24, 2007

Gerritt's First Christmas






Today is Christmas Eve & Gerry & Chris traveled from Wenatchee to celebrate Gerritt's first Christmas with us. Chris & I took Gerritt to the Alderwood Mall this afternoon to take his 1st Santa picture. Gerritt did well waiting in line for over an hour. I got a glimpse of what is to come: lists & pictures of presents kids want from Santa. A yearly picture with Santa is a fun holiday tradition & the one I want to continue as Gerritt grows.
Our celebration turned out well. Chris & Gerry were so sweet to spoil us with presents once again. Even Charlie got a package of Greenies (chew bones)! Gerritt got a developmental toy that vibrates, plays classical music & lights up. Too bad he can't hold it yet. :-) He also got a Rainforest high chair. I have a feeling we are going to be using it soon for feeding Gerritt solids since he is growing so quickly.
Gerritt is such a happy boy around everyone except Gerry. Every time Gerry picks him up to hold Gerritt starts bawling, every time! I am puzzled... Could it be that Gerritt is afraid of Gerry or senses his uneasiness with babies? It is actually pretty funny to watch. Happy, smiling & cooing boy in Mommy's arms, crying fussy boy in Gerry's arms a moment later.
My husband & I are slowly recovering from a cold we got from Gerritt. My hubby's Mom stayed with us last Thursday & Friday nights. A great night sleep is just what we both needed to help us recover.
Last Friday I had my first Nurse Practitioner job interview at Planned Parenthood (PP). I am applying for a part-time Clinician position (2-3 days a week). I thought the interview went well. Some of the questions were hard to answer & I answered them the best I could ("What are the differences between a good manager & a good leader? How would you incorporate management & leadership characteristics into our organization?"). Huh? I don't care, I just want to be a great Nurse Practitioner. PP would be an exciting place to work & is very supportive of new NP graduates. I really hope I get the job!
Last week I also gave the nursing manager my 2-week notice (my last day being January 6th). I have decided to leave the Resource Team to pursue other opportunities. Besides looking for a job as a Nurse Practitioner I am also interested in a per diem nursing position (4-5 days/month). I am not yet ready to leave bedside nursing for good. This way if my Nurse Practitioner job doesn't work out I can still return to nursing or do something really different like travel nursing. Even though I will be taking a significant pay cut by leaving my job as a nurse to work as a new graduate NP, I hope the transition is going to be fulfilling personally & professionally. So in about 2 weeks I will officially be unemployed for the first time in my life. Scary &, at the same time, liberating experience!
My husband & I did not get each other any presents this year, however, I went crazy buying toys for Gerritt. He's had 2 toys since birth & I noticed him getting bored with them lately. So after doing an online research on various toy award winners, I've ordered several of them for Gerritt. The toy shipment arrived this morning & Gerritt was so overwhelmed with all of the colors, sounds & textures, he promptly fell asleep about half an hour into our play session. :-)

No comments: