Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Upside Down Plum Cake


My last 2 baking adventures didn't turn out well. Last week I've attempted to make glutein-free pumpking pancakes, & a few days ago I tried to make muffins. Both of the recipes flopped - the pancakes & muffins failed to rise, turning out heavy & underbaked. Little did I know that baking powder & baking soda expire. Apparently, the baking powder I was using was more than 4 years old (!).
This weekend my husband & the kids visited Korean grandma, & he brought home a large bag of red plums. Last time we got plums, many of them rotted & had to be thrown away because we just couldn't eat them fast enough. This time, I wanted to put the plums to a good use. Despite being so discouraged last week, I stocked up on new baking powder this morning & decided to give baking another go.
The plum cake didn't disappoint. It turned out light, moist & not overly sweet. Plus, I loved the presentation! The cake is best served at room temperature, topped off with whipping cream.


Ingredients:
3 eggs
1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
1/2 cup sugar
1 Tbsp vanilla extract
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 1/4 cups plums, pitted & sliced

Directions:
1) Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Grease & flour one 9-inch round baking pan.
2) Separate the eggs. In a small bowl, beat the egg whites until stiff peaks form & set aside.
3) In a larger bowl, cream the butter & sugar. Beat in the egg yolks & vanilla extract.
4) Stir together the flour & baking powder & then beat the flour mixture into the creamed mixture. Gently fold in the egg whites.
5) Arrange the plums in an attractive pattern on the bottom of the baking pan. Spread the batter evenly on top of the plums.
6) Bake at 375 degrees for 30-35." When transferring the cake to a cooling rack, turn it upside down, so the plums are on the top. Cool before serving.

1 comment:

ЮЛИЯ said...

This cake looks fabulous! I wish I could have a cup of tea with you :)

I usually use extra plums to make jam. Plum jam is one of my favorites. We use it on pancakes, waffles, PB sandwiches or kids just eat it with a spoon out of a jar.

I don't make jams myself but use breadmaker with jam setting insteas. VERY easy to make. I posted about it on my blog awhile ago.
http://pomoshnitsa.blogspot.com/2009/07/blog-post_24.html