Saturday, October 9, 2010

Zoo Trip - Take 4


Playing with the hippo


With the lion


The orangutan - a new discovery on this trip!


"Show your teeth!" Gerritt has mastered the standard American smile (but not keeping eyes open at the same time)

Yesterday we spent another day at the Woodland Park Zoo. The forecast predicted rain, but we've decided to take a risk & head out of the house anyways. It turned out to be a gorgeous sunny & warm fall day & we were not disappointed in spending another day outdoors. In the morning, my friend dropped off her 2 girls for an entire day, so my nanny & I were confident in being able to handle 4 kids on a field trip.
This was my 4th Zoo trip this year. I don't know for sure why I enjoy our Zoo so much. I never leave fully satisfied (like "I've seen everything there is to see") & there is almost a gravitational pull to bring me back for yet another visit. Maybe it's being outdoors & feeling one with nature due to the proximity of wild animals all around me? Or maybe it's the fact that I never get tired of seeing happiness on Gerritt's face when he meets a new animal for the first time? Maybe it's the several hours I have to spend walking & exploring? Or the knowledge of winter's proximity & the anticipation of many days I have to spend indoors? It's probably a little bit of everything.


Snack time!


In the boat


The closest I've been able to get to a giraffe

No comments: